Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Week 9: Social Cognitive Theory

The question for this week is: Find a school district's website outside of your hometown and/or Springfield (or the city you reside in). Copy and paste (or type) the link into your blog. Answer the following questions about the school district in your blog:
http://boe.mono.k12.wv.us/

Would you want to teach in this particular school district?

Yes. They have a shortage of teachers, and seem to be very well organized

What makes this school district stand out from others that you found on the Internet?

So far, nothing extra ordinary, other than they actually list what the expectations of employment.

Are there specific features that this school district has to offer that you hadn't thought of before? What are they? If not, what would you like?

Mandatory staff development days implemented in the school calendar. Staff development is a high priority for the schools in this county.

Would you ever consider applying for a job at this school district? Why or why not?

Yes I would. First of all, because I am moving to this school district or just outside of it within the next few months. Secondly, I agree with their priority of staff development. It should be an ongoing process and will keep the teachers current.

Based on what we've learned so far in this class, how does this school district measure up?

In regards to diversity, the school system seems to measure up with what we learned in this class. It accepts and encourages a wide range of diversity. They have programs in place for special education as well as ethnic awareness. http://boe.mono.k12.wv.us/Policies/pdf/8-%2029.pdf

A summary of what you have learned from the chapter readings.

Learning tactics and strategies were an interesting part of this week’s chapter. There are two categories of learning tactics: memory-directed and comprehension-directed. Rehearsal and mnemonic devices are examples of memory-directed learning tactics. Self-questioning, note taking and concept mapping are examples of comprehension-directed learning tactics. There are six components to learning strategies: metacognition, analysis, planning, implementation of the plan, monitoring of progress and modification.

Compare what you have learned from the reading with what you have experienced in life so far.

With my sons, I have found that the best way for them to learn something that I am trying to teach them, is by modeling it. If I have a specific behavior I want them to learn, I need to show them that behavior. If I have a particular task I want them to learn, for example, unloading the dishwasher, I need to show them how to unload it, and where the dishes go.
Another example would be my youngest son trying to ride a skateboard. He began by watching his friends ride a skateboard. Then, he slowly asked to borrow it, and tried to copy their movements. Now, he can ride the skateboard without being shown what to do, and is now trying to learn a few easy tricks. (while mom hides her eyes of course)


Describe how keeping this journal has helped you organize ideas for teaching; come up with new ideas; etc.

Each week, we learn a new concept; a concept that builds off of the previous week’s idea. Last week we talked about information processing and the different types of memories. This week we talked about learning strategies (mnemonic devices, modeling) and how by using those strategies, we are placing what we have learned into our memories. Keeping a journal is helping me tie all the concepts together, as well as keep track of ideas that I find in the text and through discussions.

No comments: