Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Week 11:

A summary of what you have learned from the chapter readings.
There was so much discussed in this chapter I found it a little confusing. However, what I understood was very helpful. I think the biggest thing that I learned this week was the importance of objectives and the difference between objectives and educational goals. An educational goal is relatively broad, and is what educational and political leaders would like to see schools accomplish. Instructional objectives specify the kinds of observable and measurable student behaviors that make it possible for the educational goals to be achieved.
Another interesting thing I learned in this chapter is Blooms taxonomy. Taxonomy is an organizational scheme with categories arranged in hierarchical order. Blooms taxonomy consists of six hierarchical levels: knowledge, comprehension, application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation.


Compare what you have learned from the reading with what you have experienced in life so far
The text discusses direct instruction and its components: orientation, presentation, structured practice, guided practice, and independent practice. While observing a classroom, I watched the teacher give a math lesson. She was beginning a new skill. For the orientation, she gave an overview of the lesson (rounding numbers) and told the students what they needed to do to learn the material. She presented it by having them learn a rhyme. She then had the students sit at their desks while she went through a problem on the board, step by step. She went through several problems this way. She then asked for questions. After questions, she then passed out worksheets. She had a copy of the worksheet and used the overhead to go through several problems with the class. After working through the worksheet problems together, she had the students work on their own for about 20 minutes as she walked around and answered any questions that the students may have, or corrected any mistakes she saw.

Describe how keeping this journal has helped you organize ideas for teaching; come up with new ideas; etc.
This journal is a great way to organize ideas, such as the idea from the discussion last week about using a thought jar (see the next section). I have several ideas in my mind that I hope to get out in this blog in the next couple days. Using an online journal is helpful because I can share it with others. J

Comment on anything new and exciting you have learned from the discussion boards that you feel will help you in becoming a teacher.
One idea from last week’s discussion was the Thought Jar. Sometimes students will have a problem that they don’t want to talk about, but that is on their mind that they need to get out. The person suggested having the students write down their thoughts and put them in a jar on the teacher’s desk, to be read only by the teacher. It can be anonymous. This way, the student is getting their thoughts out and is then able to work, and the teacher can understand more about the students and where they are coming from. I think this is a great idea. I know that I have times when I am in class and my head is just not in it because my thoughts are running like crazy. This is a great way for the students to “talk” to the teacher without the other students getting involved or possibly even overhearing. This is definitely an idea I will be implementing in my classroom.

The question for this week is: Find another school district's website (this will be your third) outside of your hometown and/or Springfield (or the city you live in). Make sure that this school district is in a different state. Copy and paste (or type) the link into your blog. Answer the following questions about the school district in your blog:
http://www.uniontown.k12.pa.us/

Would you want to teach in this particular school district?
Absolutely! I love what I saw on this site!

What makes this school district stand out from others that you found on the Internet?
The way they have their educational goals and objectives laid out is a great idea and helps those families of the district know what their children will be learning. They also lay out the goals and objectives for students that need alternate objectives due to cognitive problems. The district also has special education meetings throughout the school year.

Are there specific features that this school district has to offer that you hadn't thought of before? What are they? If not, what would you like?
The special education meetings held throughout the year as support to the families is a great feature of this district. I personally, as a parent of two special needs children, and as a teacher, would benefit greatly from the feature.

Would you ever consider applying for a job at this school district? Why or why not?

Yes, I would consider applying for a job with this school district. It seems very well organized. It seems very family friendly and it lays out the rules and expectations of both the students, families and the teachers.

Based on what we've learned so far in this class, how does this school district measure up?
I think this school district measures up very well to what we have learned so far. I look forward to seeing more on this school.

No comments: