The question for this week is: We have looked at the different theorist, the age-level characteristics, and now student differences. Putting these concepts together, how is your "classroom" being built in your mind?
Having discussed the theories of various psychologists, this gives me an idea of the different how the different age groups think and how their brain is working. The age-level characteristics give me an idea of a particular age groups capabilities. The student differences, learning styles, gives me an idea of different ways to teach a particular topic. Putting these together, I have a better understanding of how I can teach my elementary classroom in the most effective way.
Are you beginning to form an idea of how you might want it to look? What does it look like?
I am beginning to see that the most effective way to teach my elementary class is to take into account that they are striving to feel industrious, meaning that they want to feel like what they are doing is producing results. They want to be productive. By knowing this, I can praise them for any effort they give in their tasks. I can encourage them to persevere. I can help my students feel productive by taking into their physical, social, emotional, and cognitive characteristics. Physically, I know that boys tend to do better with sports while girls tend to do better in flexibility and balance. Socially, I know that peer groups are becoming increasingly important. Emotionally, self-image is developing in a more global way. They are increasingly aware of others instead of just themselves. Cognitively, they are beginning to think more logically but need help in more complex memorization. By knowing these characteristics, I can use the various learning styles to help them learn.
What other information do you need before you start instructing?
I think that I need to learn about how the various cultures and ethnicities would affect my classroom. I also think that to be a better teacher, I need to know how different student abilities will affect my classroom. For instance, how will a student with a learning disorder or a physical disability affect my teaching? How will a student from another country or background affect my teaching?
A summary of what you have learned from the chapter readings.
I learned that there are various theories on intelligence. However, I think my favorite one is Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences Theory. He described 8 intelligences: logical-mathematical, linguistic, musical, spatial, bodily-kinesthetic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and naturalist. Using a variety of these intelligences in a lesson would help each student understand a lesson in different ways.
Compare what you have learned from the reading with what you have experienced in life so far.
In learning about learning styles this week, I have been paying more attention to how I learn as well as how my kids learn. We took a learning styles test this week for class, and I discovered that I am a solitary, aural, and logical learner. This means that I learn better alone, musically, and thinking. J I find these are very accurate, as I do learn better by doing things on my own. I love having to think about how to answer something and enjoy doing activities that require thinking. And I LOVE music. Listening to music while I work is even better. I tend to perform better while listening to music. My oldest son is a very social, physical, logical learner. He thinks things out, but loves working in groups, and if it is hands-on, all the better. He loves nature and that fits in perfectly with the hands-on approach.
Comment on anything new and exciting you have learned from the discussion boards that you feel will help you in becoming a teacher.
A good point was brought up in a discussion this week, on how a lot of times, it seems as if someone’s learning styles reflect a person’s personality. I had never really thought about this, but I feel it is something to look into. For example, I am a solitary learner. If I have a solitary learner in my classroom, I can do small group (2-3 students) projects to strengthen that student’s social learning. My son is a physical learner and I can encourage him to work visually.
Describe why you think keeping this blog/journal will help you with teaching.
With each chapter we discuss, I am able to connect the dots or in this case, concepts together. This is helping me understand how my students will think, what they are capable of, and how I can help them learn within their capabilities and helping them expand those capabilities. This is also helping me realize that there are differences between the students, and that I can make slight adjustments to my teaching style to help my students learn in the best way for them.
I am loving this class. It is very helpful in understanding what my students will be like, but it is also helpful in me understanding my own children.
Friday, September 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rebekah,
I like what you said about elementary children being industrious! They do want to be productive and feel like/ and know that they are doing something worth while! To think about it... that is kind of what we as a teacher are wanting as well! we want to know and feel that we really and truly are making a difference in these kids lives, we to want to be productive as well!
Justine
Post a Comment